Saturday 6 July 2013

130 days until Graduation... Well shit.

Peter knew what was up.
Yes my friends, that is correct. 130 days until graduation. That is four months and seven days away. Now that may seem like a long time to some -but to me that is just around the bloody corner.

In the months to come us seventeen and sixteen year olds are supposed to choose the career that we should have for the next fifty or sixty odd years. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if we aren't even legally allowed to drink how the hell are we supposed to decide our futures now?! I struggle to choose between toast or cereal in the morning let alone whether I want to be a teacher or a nurse!

And while we're taking a moment to be real about our lives lets just talk about the fact that high school has taken zero to nil steps in preparing me for the real world. They're basically sending toddlers out to walk on their own... A sick joke really.

Oh  yes, your school will tell you that 'It's okay you've got plenty of options to choose from when deciding your future'. Hell yeah we do! This is where the saying 'Too much of a good thing' really comes in handy. I mean lets have a look at all our options:

  • University 
  • TAFE 
  • Apprenticeship
  • Traineeship 
  •  Work 
And the list goes on and on. Yes it doesn't look like much but when those options are looked at deeper it can be one hell of a time to try and get your head around it all.


Just go back to the good old days when it was cute when we would constantly change our minds about what it was that we wanted to be when we grew up. I know mine changed all the time- it went from being a Landscaper (Like my parents) to a archaeologist (so I could take my Grandma on trips to Egypt with me) to a veterinarian (because I loved animals) but like everything else in the world I grew up (sorta) and worked out I was too big of a dumb ass for any of those jobs. Lets not get me started on the fact that one test, that every grade 12 student in all of Queensland takes can produce a number that decides if old mate Timmy is going to be a doctor or not. You can bugger right off with that thought.

Come on Queensland Education, why should I have to get an OP of one just to dig some old bones out of the dirt hey?!

Not only do schools expect us to make hard choices about our futures, they assess us on things that we can't use in the real world. Will knowing how to times X and Y really help me pay my rent, Math A? I think not. While yes some classes do give us skills that we will need in life- reading and writing being a good example, but why in grade 12 is it not mandatory to teach an English class how to write a bloody resume? I can tell you now, if my mum wasn't such a switched on women and helped me to write my own resume, I would still be leeching money off of her and dad now... well some leeching still continues to this day...

But that brings me to my next point (Ah, a clinching sentence... English teachers love those) SPOILER ALERT! When you finally finish school you are expected to move out of home... yep that's right kids. I'll just give you a moment to let that sink in... Right now your parents are just thinking about the day when they ship you off to a university or to your own house. Sure they say that they'll miss you and what not... but lets be real they aren't Areosmith, they ain't gonna miss a thing.

Yes, we were tricked into a false sense of security believing that growing up was 'cool' and we just couldn't wait to do it! What the hell were we thinking?! I'll tell you right now if I could go back to my six year old self and tell her one thing, it would be to forget about thinking it will be great to be able to drive a car. Driving a car means two things; registrations and fuel, and those two things mean one thing- a hell of a lot of money! Sure I might just crush my six year old self's soul but hey, saves it from being crushed as a seventeen year old idiot. A lot less drama at six years old.
Mary Darling is one hard Bitch 

Mrs. Darling makes a wonderful point, no matter how much we moan and groan about it growing up is life, and we do just have to get used to it. But I can't be the only one who wishes I was more prepared for the hell hole that is full-time work and paying bills, right?

For now I'm just going to continue to live in blissful ignorance to the fact that in a few months I have to start making some very difficult choices.

In the wise words of J.M Barrie- “If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!” 

Please subscribe, comment, or do whatever it is that your little hearts desire (as long as it is legal!)   
Much love
Nat-A-Roo 






No comments:

Post a Comment